Thursday, February 11, 2010

One day...

In the life of an overworked, single, thirty-something woman who lives with her elderly mother and a spoiled little brat of a dog:

Morning: I'm at work in my "office" mode- trying desperately to seem highly important and super diligent. Office phone rings.
Me: Yes, B. speaking...
Elderly Mother: Dahhhhling, the pooch misses you.
Me: Erm, uhhhh, well, that's nice. Now, how can I help you? (Spoken in business-woman-like tone as co-workers are listening).
Elderly Mother: Hold on honey, I'm putting the dog on the phone. Now say something to her, she really misses you, I can see it in her puppy eyes.
Me: Errrrrr, no, not now.
Elderly Mother: Talk to her (in a tone that tells me she means business)
Me: Hello Lukka (to chiahuahua-terrier mix), er, was that enough?
Elderly Mother: Yes, darling, well, now I'm going to give her a steak.
Me: (Now shouting out in amazement- which I shouldn't have) NOOOOO, that's tonight's dinner mum! The dog CANNOT have steak. (All co-workers are laughing now and I'm blushing like crazy at this point)
Elderly Mother: But she wants steak, the baby's hungry. It's not easy looking into those sad eyes all day. She's getting steak!
Me: Fine mum, I'll pick something up at the supermarket on the way home from work. Do you fancy anything special?
Elderly Mother: Yes, steak...
Me: Fine, I guess we're all having steak today (in total defeat).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?