Thursday, July 31, 2008

Crying at the cinema Part II

On the topic of movie experiences, and by that I'm not talking about Mel Gibson not getting into a Reykjavík bar last weekend because he was wearing sneakers, I need to, no must, share a strange thing with you: Recently, I have begun crying, like a lot, at the movies.

I think it started this spring when I went to see a really girlie movie called P.S. I love you. If you haven't seen this one, but are looking for a healthy emotional outlet, this is the one to see. A friend of mine told me that when she blindly, due to the waterfall streaming from her eyes, tried to crawl into the bathroom at the cinema, a sobbing lady walked up to her and said: They should give away free handkerchiefs with the ticket.
So, anyway, I went to see the flick and expecting a big sobfest I prepared for a great experience and packed a few kitchen towels in my handbag before embarking upon this adventure. Needless to say, I started crying about 3 minutes into the film and pretty much didn't stop for the next 1 1/2 hours. I cried when sad things happened and I cried when funny things happened.
To cut a long story short- I've been crying at the movies ever since. This has escalated and I hang my head in shame when I admit that recently ABBA made me cry.
Yes, James Bond himself sang SOS and for some reason I got somewhat emotional. OK, there weren't any tears, but my eyes did, however, water ever so lightly. The question now is:
Did I weep on the inside due to:
a) Pierce Brosnan's "talented" singing
b) Bond and Streep are so beautiful/terrible together that it makes you want to cry
or
c) I am becoming an emotional tear jerker junkie and cry over just about anything at the movies because it feels damn good.
Whatever the reason, here's a list of 10 films that make me cry:
1) The Notebook- love never dies, it's so wonderfully cheezy
2) Beaches- best friends and cancer and ahhhhhh
3) Pretty Woman- tears of joy when they finally let her shop
4) Schindler's List- the real people in the end putting stones on Oscar's grave, so emotional
5) The Mirror has two Faces- Barbra, Jeff Bridges, love, intelligence and opera
6) Titanic- what a shocker when the ship sank and cooooome baaaaaack
7) P.S. I love you- no explanation needed
8) Edward Scissorhands- Soooo sad and tragic and sweet and nooooo I start crying just by the very thought of it
9) The Corpse Bride- Same as film no. 8
10) Scuba School- The Coreys on something...I cried because the video store was closed and I couldn't return the bloody thing and get my money back, need I say more?
I'm sure I've left all the good one's out; but hey, most films make me cry these days...which reminds me, I wonder whether that NZ horror film Black Sheep about the cannibalistic killer sheep is a sad story about unhappy creatures looking for understanding in a harsh world.....will their fate make me cry?

Comments:
Ok now, here's a 'special' case for you: I've been finding in recent years that cartoon/animation movies have the potential to make me cry like mad. The suffering of cutesy creatures with big sincere eyes just gets to me every time. So here's my top 3:

3) Beauty and the Beast - so damn emotional when she offers to stay in the Beast's dungeon for her old father. What a beautiful act of self-sacrifice!
2) Finding Nemo - it's basically tears with some spells of laughter thrown in all the way through after Nemo gets kidnapped and his poor lonely dad embarks on the rescue mission.
and the number 1 is (I bet you didn't see this one coming):
1) The Tigger Movie - the Tigger has no family, boo hoo hoooo! Never seen anything sadder!

So what does that tell you about me - am I a hopeless depressive or just a bit emotionally retarded?
 
Well, we could just as well found a emo-retards club because I had a serious "attack" when watching Beauty and the Beast at the movies with my 4-year old niece.
I actually cried in the end- because it was such darn happy and heartfelt ending.
However, it wasn't as heartfelt when the lights came on, all the midgets saw my tears and the 4-year old told me: Stop whining auntie B- you are totally embarrassing me!
 
Little f*****s, what do they know about true emotions! I think you're right and we should probably rethink our concept of the alcoholic writers' club, as it seems that we're a lot more versatile than just that. ;-) Ah, can't wait to see you again! xxx
 
Yes me too- we can cry and drink at the same time- now that's multi-tasking!
 
Þú ert greinilega Rómverji og þar af leiðandi klikk.
 
Ég veit ekki alveg hvernig ég á túlka þessi skilaboð...Gott og vel að vera Rómverji- en klikk, á hvaða forsendum?
 
Varstu ekki að þykjast hafa lesið Ástríksbækurnar? Þar er skýringin.
 
Hmmm, þetta er áhugaverður punktur, en við klikk kveikjum svo illa á svona sko.
 
Ah, what a great recommendation list! yes, yes, I am a girl and I need to cry but my boy wants to watch nothing but CSI. Which provokes stomach-evacuating spasms in me. So thanks for the list! Now, the only problem is to find the version of these in Spanish. Sometimes the title is so twisted in the course of translation that you would never in a million years guess what the original one was. :)
 
As to your Mamma Mia crying, I have another version: most of us do, it is a sort of crying called nostalgic tears. :) Even if we didn't exactly breed on ABBA, strangely enough, most of us feel a nostalgy about it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?