Thursday, November 22, 2007

Oh get stuffed!

It's the day of American stuffings. I wish all my American buddies a very happy eating day and hope that indigestion will not play a role in their festivities.
On my rock there's no thanksgiving, sadly there were no aboriginals here to mistreat when my ancestors showed up, except for possibly a few Irish monks, "papar" who are most famous for having used the 24/7 Arctic daylight to pick lice from each others' heads. We didn't have any turkeys either so thanksgiving is a non-existent holiday in these parts.
While on the subject of turkeys I must admit that when I moved to Alabama I was enjoyably surprised to see how multicultural the Southerners were and how open they were to Southern European/Asian cuisine; there were Turkish restaurants everywhere and being a fan of Middle Eastern food and such, I very much looked forward to dining exotic dishes at the "House of Turkey". Alas, there was pretty much only one dish on the menu: turkey (not from Turkey).
Yes, indeed I was a stupid foreigner!
However, now my friends and I from my needlework club (where we mostly just play cards and talk about girlie things + the occasional bad-mouthing of other women), well we've decided to do our annual club celebration American style with turkey, cranberries, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. I bought a big ass turkey for an insane amount of money (around 35-40 quid) and have been surfing the internet for recipes, preferably ones that don't include canned pumpkin, store bought stuffing mixes and sausage meat (as the first 2 are not sold on my rock and the third I don't eat due to many things). So, if anybody knows of a recipe that is kosher and un-canned, please let me know.
Hell, if all else fails we'll just off a few puffins and stuff them with sour sheep's testicles, burn them over a fire and chant viking tunes about pillaging and burning the English...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?