Friday, November 30, 2007

Baking without baking

It's almost that time again, you know what I'm talking about.


Tomorrow the Christmas month begins and tomorrow almost every house in the city will be lit like a Christmas tree. Most of us northeners have a little Griswold inside of us that escapes around this time of year. Most windows will have friendly lights and the bare trees will be covered in hundreds of lights.


I usually collect a bunch of pine branches which I place on the windowsills and then I put tiny white lights inbetween the branches. This not only makes the house smell like a million bucks but also feasts the eyes.


Now this is what I felt lacked in that little Scottish town I used to live in. I never really got in the Christmas mood because it seemed that the locals absolutely lacked the essence of Griswold. There was a measly string of lights around the main shopping street but people just didn't light up their houses, which I found odd, since if anything- Scotland is even darker than my rock due to lack of that white stuff that falls from the sky here in the darkest months.


However, Christmas lighting doesn't always apply- as I discovered when my disco-loving neighbours put up their twinkling light tubes about 3 weeks ago. I also find little joy in the Spanish twinkling and Christmas tune-singing lights that have conquered the Canary Islands. Twinkling lights that sing "jingle bells" Chipmunks style are just not that tasteful people- or so I think.


But there are other ways of getting into the Christmas mood. I for one decided to celebrate the coming of the silly season and the 89th anniversary of my rock's sovereignity by baking without baking. We rock-inhabitants go cookie crazy in December, there are Sarah Bernhardt cookies, pepper cookies, butter cookies and you name it cookies. However, I tend to forget the little suckers in the oven so my cookies have in the past been "the fire department's here to see if you are OK cookies" so here's a brilliant and super easy recipe for not burning the joint down, "the kókoskúlur":

3 dl oatmeal
1 dl sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract drops
2 tablespoons cold coffee
100 grammes butter (real butter)


Blend this all together, form little balls and roll in shredded coconut and then cool in the fridge.
These kókoskúlur really are a treat and so incredibly easy and quick to make.
Bon Appetit

Comments:
áfram Griswold
 
Jáhá- Grissinn rokkar!
 
Wow, this looks pretty much exactly like some pretty good stuff my gran used to make - only she always used rum instead of vanilla! ;-)
 
What a wonderful idea- booze it up. Will do that next time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?